A number of changes have been made to make
conditionally compliant (that is,
sendmail satisfies all of the
MUST clauses and most but not all of the
SHOULD clauses in RFC 1123).
The major areas of change are (numbers are RFC 1123 section numbers):
- Response to RCPT command is fast.
- Numeric IP addresses are logged in Received: lines.
- Self domain literal is properly handled.
- Better control over individual timeouts.
- Error messages are sent as
- Error messages are never sent to
- Route-addrs are pruned.
The areas in which
sendmail is not
unconditionally compliant are:
Sendmail does do header munging.
Sendmail doesn't always use the exact SMTP message text
as listed in RFC 821.
Sendmail doesn't guarantee only one connect for each host in queue runs.
Sendmail doesn't always provide adequate concurrency limits.
[Contents] [Previous] [Next]
Questions or problems regarding this web site should be directed to Steve Gielda.
Copyright © 1999 www.cotse.com. All rights reserved.
Last modified: Friday April 02, 1999.